The island of Crete stands almost as a separate country between Europe, Asia and Africa and is one of the largest islands belonging to Greece. It has the most pleasant climate for agriculture and food production. From the ancient times it has been influenced by Egyptian and other Middle Eastern or Asian cultures, therefore its cuisine is quite different from anything else in Greece. This unique Mediterranean salad will offer you great nourishing minerals and vitamins. It can be served as appetiser, but also as a light dinner. Somewhat like a traditional Greek salad, but the taste is exceptional.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: N/A
- 3 or 4 barley rusks
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (depending on size)
Half cucumber, deseeded and cut into small dice
- ½tsp sea salt
1tsp raw honey
100g feta cheese
20g sesame seeds
3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 kalamata pitted olives (sliced)
- 1tbsp pickled capers
- 1tbsp fresh parsley leaves (chopped)
- 1tsp fresh oregano leaves, left whole or roughly chopped
Try adding some toasted bread, like croutons, over the top of the dish – but please use homemade! Best breads are either pitta or sourdough, torn or cut, to keep it healthy. Just toast it drizzled in olive oil and seasoned for 15 minutes in the oven.
You can also cut it into medium sized cubes and toast it in a dry pan over medium temperature until crisp but not hard. For a bigger meal, add some slices of cooked chicken for more protein.
- Crush the barley rusks with your hands and place them in a deep mixing bowl. Cut the cherry tomatoes in quarters or in halves if they are too small.
- Add cucumber, pitted sliced olives, capers, sesame seeds, salt, honey, oregano, 2tbsp olive oil. Mix well.
- Let the salad sit for 5 minutes in the refrigerator then move it on to a serving plate.
Crumble the Feta cheese with your fingers and sprinkle all over the salad.
- Add the rest of the olive oil and finely chopped parsley leaves on top.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 268, Carbohydrates 19g, Fibre 2.2g, Sugar 5.4g, Fat 19.3g (of which saturated 4.1g), Protein 6.7g, Sodium 593mg